Birth injuries are a tragic occurrence. You could coast through your pregnancy with no complications and a healthy baby–and then all of a sudden, your healthy baby suffers a birth injury during delivery due to the negligence of a medical professional. It’s a life-changing event, not only for your newborn child but for you as parents.
What Qualifies as a Birth Injury?
Birth injuries are a very complicated matter. There are many possible causes of birth injuries, as well as periods during which they occur. There are prenatal birth injuries that develop during the pregnancy, injuries that occur shortly after birth, and birth injuries that happen during delivery. Some common birth injuries include:
- Brachial plexus palsy: injury to the baby’s nerves that affects upper arm movement
- Bruising and forceps or vacuum marks
- Cerebral palsy: a group of disorders that affect a person’s ability to move caused by damage to the developing brain
- Erb’s palsy: a condition affecting the nerves within the neck that affect a baby’s upper and lower arm movements
- Permanent damage
- And many more
How Can a Lawyer Help?
No one should ever have to endure the pain that is associated with a birth injury caused by negligence. However, if this happens to you or your loved one, you need to get guidance from an experienced Birth Injury Lawyer. Birth injury cases are notoriously difficult to litigate and prosecute for a few reasons:
- The injury occurs to a baby, who is unable to communicate the specifics or nature of the injury.
- It is sometimes hard to pinpoint exactly when the injury occurred, why it occurred, and who may have made it happen, which leads mostly to speculation from parents as well as doctors and medical personnel.
- Birth injuries may not show symptoms immediately. The injury may have occurred during birth, but may not present until after, until it becomes increasingly challenging to pursue any type of medical malpractice litigation.
In short, if you’re going to pursue a case for your child’s birth injury – and you likely should – you’ll need experienced lawyers who know birth injury and medical malpractice laws inside and out.
Fortunately, the birth injury lawyers in Washington, DC at The Lapidus Law Firm have decades of experience litigating birth injury cases. We know information that is vital to a birth injury case, and we know how to deal with insurance companies and medical personnel, so you don’t have to. We focus on the legalities so you can focus on your family and your baby.
Birth Injury Lawyer in Washington, DC
If your child has suffered an injury at birth, and you believe you may be due to the negligence of doctors or other medical professionals, call The Lapidus Law Firm right away at (202) 785-5111. We’ll conduct a free, no-obligation Zoom consultation to get the facts.
If we take your case, we will do our very best to secure you a fair and reasonable settlement that can help cover mounting medical bills, long-term hospital and/or in-home care, physical and occupational therapy, or funeral costs.
No baby should ever have to suffer the pain and disability of a birth injury, and no family should ever have to suffer the consequences because of negligence. Call us today…we’re here to help you.