Driving on roads near a large truck can be intimidating, especially when you are in a smaller vehicle. If the driver neglects the rules and safety regulations, you can be at risk for an accident and injury no matter how many precautions you take.
According to the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety, sixty-seven percent of people who died in large truck crashes in 2018 were in cars or passenger vehicles. Most truck accidents in the United States occured in rural areas. If you have been involved in an accident with a large truck and suffered property damage and injuries, contact a Maryland truck accident attorney to learn your options for taking legal action
Causes of Truck Accidents
Several factors can cause an accident involving a large truck. Any of these factors alone or combined can result in serious injury, property damage, and even death. Common causes of truck accidents are:
- Fatigue – Truck drivers are often required to meet tight delivery deadlines with limited rest. This can lead to fatigued driving that means they’re unable to maintain alertness while driving.
- Driving Under the Influence – Unfortunately, some truck drivers use illegal substances to combat the fatigue that comes with the job. If a driver is impaired due to drugs or alcohol, they risk causing an accident and harming themselves and others on the road.
- Undertrained Drivers – Trucking companies are responsible for training their drivers to prepare them for difficult roads and high traffic conditions. If drivers are not properly trained, they can make mistakes that put everyone at risk.
- Poor Truck Maintenance – Trucking companies are required to maintain proper maintenance standards on their vehicles. If they neglect maintenance and the trucks aren’t up to the required safety standards, crucial parts can fail resulting in rollovers and collisions.
- Distracted Driving – Drivers of large trucks have a responsibility to stay aware of their surroundings. If they begin texting, browsing social media, or flipping through radio stations, they aren’t giving their full attention to driving.
What to Do if You Are the Victim of a Truck Accident
If you have been the victim of an accident involving a large truck, first seek medical treatment immediately. Obtain the police report and truck driver’s insurance information and then contact a Maryland truck accident attorney here at The Lapidus Law Firm. If you opt not to get an attorney, you may choose to negotiate with the insurance company yourself.
You certainly have every right to make that decision but know this: Truck companies and their insurance companies retain their own lawyers to act in their best interests and avoid paying out as much as possible in settlements. Without an experienced Truck Accident Attorney on your side, you could leave a large chunk of a would-be settlement in the banks of the at-fault truck driver’s insurance company.
How Can Attorney Can Help
You deserve to have someone in your corner working for you to obtain a fair, reasonable settlement. We work to make sure that we have reviewed all the information and advocated of behalf for our client. An attorney will communicate with the truck company and insurance company on your behalf, so you don’t have to tackle them on your own.
Maryland Truck Accident Attorney
Here at The Lapidus Law Firm, we believe in acting as a source of support for our clients. We will educate you about the legal process and will work tirelessly toward the goal of obtaining a fair settlement that includes medical expenses, physical therapy expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and so much more. Contact us today at 301-852-7500 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation and learn your rights.