Pedestrian accidents are common in high vehicle and foot traffic areas such as Upper Marlboro. Unfortunately, if you have been the victim of a pedestrian accident, you will face a number of expenses, possibly including medical, physical therapy, and lost wages.
If you are a pedestrian that has been hit by a vehicle, contact an Upper Marlboro Pedestrian Accident Lawyer at The Lapidus Law Firm immediately. Our legal team will work tenaciously to gain you fair and reasonable compensation so you can focus on your recovery.
Preventing Pedestrian Accidents
In many cases, pedestrian accidents are preventable. They are often the cause of negligence on the part of the driver for any number of reasons, including texting, driving under the influence, distracted by passengers, and for a variety of other reasons.
For you, the pedestrian, we can’t avoid mentioning the things you can do to increase your safety. Some of the tips include the following:
- Use crosswalks appropriately
- Check the street both ways before crossing
- Wear bright colors
- Avoid walking at night when possible
- Never cross a busy highway on foot
- Stay off the phone
- Avoid wearing headphones
- Avoid being impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Teach children to obey pedestrian traffic laws
Following these steps will not prevent driver negligence, but it will improve your chances of traveling safely on foot. It is no guarantee that you’ll always stay safe, because many drivers not obeying the laws will hit a law-biding pedestrian who is, in fact, in the crosswalk. No one expects to be hit by a vehicle, but the most important steps come into play after the accident occurs.
What Should You Do if You or a Loved One Get Hit?
If you have been hit by a vehicle, there are several steps you need to take to ensure you are handling the situation properly.
- Get Medical Treatment – It’s crucial that you receive medical attention as soon as possible after being hit by a car. Document your injuries and ensure that you can heal properly.
- Call the Police – The faster the police are on the scene of the accident, and the sooner they can take witness statements and compile an accurate report.
- Get the Driver’s Name and Insurance Information – Provided the driver didn’t flee the scene, ask for their insurance, and contact information. The responding police officer should have this information in the police report as well.
- Contact an Upper Marlboro Pedestrian Accident Lawyer – The sooner you have legal representation after an accident, the better.
What Will a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Do?
An attorney will investigate and review the details of your accident to determine your best chances at a fair, reasonable settlement. Our experienced attorneys at The Lapidus Law Firm will interview you and guide you through every step of the process. We will deal with the insurance companies on your behalf and represent you during settlement negotiations and trial, if necessary.
Upper Marlboro Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been hit by a car, contact our legal team at The Lapidus Law Firm at 301-852-7500 for your free, no obligation consultation.