Must Know Info From Your Maryland Personal Injury Lawyer
Do a quick internet search for your city or state plus the term “pedestrian accident lawyer” or “car accident lawyer” or “motorcycle accident lawyer.” Do you see the results? There are dozens (and dozens) of Maryland personal injury lawyers listed. That’s a good thing because if you have been injured because of someone else’s negligence, there is plenty of help.
So how to do you know what to expect from your personal injury case? How do you know your personal injury lawsuit is viable? Today, your Maryland Personal Injury Lawyer is clearing up some of the confusion with five facts about personal injury lawsuits.
1. All Lawsuits Are Not Frivolous
There is a belief that personal injury lawsuits are “only about the money.” The fact is that yes, money is a key factor when it comes to personal injury lawsuits, but there is much more behind the word “money.”
The reason money is a factor? Because an innocent person injured because of someone else and also impacted financially. Medical bills can surpass the six-figure mark, the injured person may not be able to return to work, he/she loses current and future income and the cause/effect list gets longer and longer. How can we help relieve some of the stress directed related to the financial implications of the injury? By pursuing a fair and reasonable settlement. THAT is far from frivolous. In fact, we’re honored to be in the pursuit of justice by standing up for what is right.
2. Some Cases Take Longer Than Others
Some settle out of court – others go to trial. There is no specific timeline that can be pre-determined for any case. Some cases that are settled take months to come to a conclusion – and the same can be said for cases that go to trial. We won’t have an estimated timeline until we have all the details of your case and learn when your treatment is completed.
The benefit for you: you will use that time to heal from your injuries by going to your medical appointments and physical therapy appointments. You can focus on stress-free healing while we handle all the legalities surrounding your case. Knowing we’re working diligently to obtain a fair and reasonable settlement will help put to rest any stress you may be feeling as it relates to your case and your finances.
3. We Don’t Get Paid Until We Resolve Your Case
You don’t have to pay us until we resolve your case. When we secure your settlement, you will pay the legal costs out of your settlement funds.
4. Evidence and Proper Documentation is VERY Important
The moments immediately after your or a loved one is injured are harrowing and chaotic. However, it is important that you do your best to stay calm and focus on one thing: the health and well-being of the person injured. Staying safe and getting medical treatment is paramount to anything else. Get medical treatment for any injuries immediately and don’t hesitate to use an ambulance for transportation to a hospital. By doing the latter, you will:
- Have formal documentation of your injuries and prompt the filing of a police report: Without the use of an ambulance for medical treatment, you will instead do an “exchange of information,” and that means there is no documentation of how the collision occurred.
- Send a message to the insurance adjusters who will offer you a settlement: The insurance company doesn’t care about your pain or how you are impacted by your injuries. They look at every detail that can work in their favor to give you as little money possible, and that includes how long you took to seek medical treatment. If you don’t get treatment promptly, the army of insurance adjusters and lawyers will use that as leverage to offer you a lowball settlement. The adjuster will use every day you delayed obtaining treatment to reduce their settlement offer they otherwise would make.
- Prioritize your health and well-being. When you have been injured because of someone else, do you know whose job it is to make sure you get better? IT IS YOUR JOB TO MAKE IT A PRIORITY WITH THE SUPPORT OF YOUR MEDICAL TEAM! We recommend getting to the doctor as soon as possible, prioritize your medical appointments and rest as much as you can.
5. Experience Matters
There are personal injury lawyers of all experience levels. Many, surprisingly, have never tried a case. However, it is those law firms and lawyers with ample experience and excellent track records that will tap into their in-depth knowledge of the laws to increase your chances of getting a favorable outcome for your case.
Maryland Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or loved one has been injured or died in a collision, we can help. With four decades of personal injury experience, your Maryland Personal Injury Lawyer will work diligently on your case with the primary goal of securing a fair and reasonable settlement for you. Contact The Lapidus Law Firm today at (301) 605-4296 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation. We can help!