Home / DC and Maryland Accident Attorney News Blog / Uninsured Motorist Coverage: How Much Is Enough?

Uninsured Motorist Coverage: How Much Is Enough?

Whether you live in Washington, DC or in Maryland, if you’re driving, you must have car insurance.  It’s the law.  Both places have minimum required amounts of specific coverages, but so many people don’t fully understand what is in that policy they’re paying for month-to-month.  That is especially true when it comes to uninsured motorist coverage.  Today, we’re clearing it up, so you know what’s in your policy and what you are entitled to if you get in a car accident.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Suppose you are in a car accident in Washington, DC or a car accident in Prince George’s County.  The other driver in that accident does not have car insurance.  You can have peace of mind in knowing your uninsured motorist coverage required by Maryland Law will protect you if someone driving without insurance hits your vehicle and/or causes injuries to you or your passenger(s).

This coverage will also kick in should you be involved in a hit and run accident.  It covers both property damage and medical expenses.  Additionally, whether the driver is identified or not, your uninsured motorist coverage also includes compensation for lost wages and pain and suffering related to your car accident.

As for how much coverage you need, that amount has changed since over the last seven years.  Maryland law now states that all new or renewed policies are required to have uninsured coverages of at least:

  • $15,000 for property damage
  • $30,000 per person, per accident for bodily injury
  • $60,000 bodily injury per accident

In Washington, DC, the Department of Motor Vehicles has set the minimum coverages for uninsured motorist insurance as well:

  • $5,000 for property damage, minus a $200 deductible.
  • $25,000 per person, per accident for bodily injury.
  • $50,000 bodily injury per accident

Advice from the Expert:  GET MORE INSURANCE

It should be reiterated that these are, as stated in both Maryland and Washington, DC, the MINIMUM coverages required.  Car accident lawyers advise against going with that minimum number and recommend drivers always purchase more than the lowest amount required.  To get several thousand more in coverage will cost you very little (typically around $10 a month, or less).

Here’s why:  In Washington, DC, the minimum amount required for property damage is $5,000.  Is your vehicle worth more than that?  Alternatively, if your car is damaged and you need to purchase a new one, will it cost you more than $5,000?  What if your car that gets totaled still has car payments?  Know that you aren’t off the hook for those payments if your vehicle is totaled.  That debt still exists, and that $5,000 of property damage coverage will likely NOT be nearly enough to cover your cost, and you’re out of a car.

Does getting more Uninsured Motorist Coverage sound like a good idea now?

Car Accident Lawyers

If you have been in a car accident in Washington, DC or if you have been in a car accident in Maryland, reach out to the expert attorneys at The Lapidus Law Firm today.  It isn’t too late to get a free consultation for your car accident.

Your insurance company may not divulge all the coverages you have up front, so you could easily miss out on thousands of dollars in compensation without the help of a car accident attorney with vast experience in dealing with insurance companies.  The car accident lawyers at The Lapidus Law Firm will dig into every detail of your case and your insurance policy to ensure you get all the coverage you’ve been paying for month after month.

Call The Lapidus Law Firm today in Washington, DC at (202) 785-5111 or in PG County at (301) 605-4296.

Check Also

The Deadliest Roads in Maryland

We already know that Maryland owns the distinction of being the state with the most …